Featured Post

Champagne Bubbles, The Truth Behind Them

Canned Wines: Can't You Just Put a Cork in It?

Have you wondered about the canned wines? I have wondered. I'm totally onboard with cans as a vehicle for delivering amazing carbonated products of all sorts. Namely, beer. That I am. The plastic lining keeps the beverage from taking on a metallic taste and light can't pass, keeping contents better preserved, then of course there is convenient sizing, and when it comes to carbonation containment... cans do that well too. All good things. Though I have to say the word "can" whispers "mass production" to me, I'll try not to let my inner voice talk too loud.

How is the wine? 

𝘁𝗹;𝗱𝗿 not worth the $4.99 I paid



First let me say I normally drink wine that has a relationship behind it, people, a story. 💜 For that reason if I don't like a wine or a winery, I'll just refrain from talking about it. But here it's not personal. It was business. 

In a quick run to Trader Joes tonight I grabbed a can of Underwood Pinot in a can to satisfy my curiosity. My husband, Scott, and I did a blind tasting tonight with 4 pinots. I wanted to remove my perception from my judgement of the 🍷 


Granted, the competition was stiff including solid Pinots chosen randomly from my cellar. But unfortunately only one wine stood out as a stand-alone dud. The Underwood. *shrug* On the nose we got "funk", "over-ripe to rotting strawberries" and "compost". On the palate things improved a bit with notes of "mild overripe fruit flavors", "astringency", "burn" and "lemon peel". 


So there we have it folks. A waste of $5 for me, but hopefully this can serve as a public service announcement for you. 

Have you found a canned wine that is drinkable? Let me know by posting to the comments! 

Comments